santiago

santiago

Friday, September 18, 2015

shake, rattle and roll

So on Wednesday, September 16 Chile had the strongest earthquake of 2015. Sometime between 7:30 and 8 pm. All in all there were 3 earthquakes and 42 after shocks with strongest being 8.3. Needless to say there was no sleep for me that night. So husband was away for work (naturally) and Curly girl did sleep through it amazingly enough. This was a blessing because I am not really confident that I would have been able to keep us both calm. I was FREAKING OUT. FREAKING THE F OUT.

Can I also please apologize to everyone because I brought this on us. That morning I went out and bought extra bottled water, batteries, bandaids, dried goods and pulled out extra cash to update our "earthquake" supply drawer. I threw it out to the universe and the universe threw it right back. Thanks for that. I digress. We have had so many little tremors since moving here so I was not super concerned at first. But it kept going and kept getting stronger. I thought to myself "self, what would husband do?" Open the front door thats what he would do. So I ran to the front door as my neighbor was doing the same thing. (point me). Then I ran to open Curly girl's door and check on her. Snoring and door being kept open by shoe (success). I ran back to the front door and held it open. It shook for what felt like forever. My sliding doors were opened by about 2 feet and all our drawers were open and shaking. It was crazy and terrifying. But it just shook all night long. Every time I started to drift off a shaking would startle me back awake. Around 4 am I just gave up.  I truly hope to never go through something like that again. But we are lucky to live in such a safe, sound building. We had no damage and nothing broke. The earthquake that destroyed Haiti was only a 7 and there were over 200,000 deaths. I think Chile has had 10. Which is still sad but to think about the drastic difference in that. Santiago is built for this. While I was terrified I never felt unsafe. I knew we were safe. I knew that the building would hold. I don't know how to explain it, but the way the building was shaking I could just tell. I wish husband would have been here with me but I am proud of myself for handling it without totally falling apart. This morning (2 days later) there was a small-ish tremor and I freaked out. I might have ptsd.

No comments:

Post a Comment